Good little neighborhood places...
I'm frequently asked for my recommendations for small, attractive, neighborhood spots in SF and I am finally compiling a list so I don't keep reinventing the wheel.
- excellent food, of course
- friendly vibe
- good service & value
- noise level not too loud to have a normal conversation
- tables not too cramped together
- return business from neighborhood residents
- can function as a mellow midweek last-minute dinner or a low-key "special occasion" dinner (ie jeans usually OK)
So far I've come up with (in no particular order):
- The Richmond
- Garibaldi (maybe, haven't been in a couple years)
- Florio (occasionally too loud)
I'm definitely forgetting some, and the Mission is my blind spot. Any others for the list in any part of the city?
We frequently go back about every three to four months to check on whether or not it is getting better.
We went again last week and it was the best it has been in a long time, which made us both very happy.
I had the Clams app and the macaroni and cheese and my date had the steak frites. he said it was one of the best preperations of the dish that he has had there in the last 3 years.
Honeslty, it tastes like they got a new sous chef, or a new expediter, because the food (while the menu has not changed at all) is living up to par of how it used to be before the back slide of the last year or so.
Give it a shot.
They are still some of the nicest staff around.