Inexpensive, goods eats near westwood & santa monica?
I'm looking for some good, fairly inexpensive places to eat around the intersection of westwood and santa monica. There are a bunch of Persian restaurants in the area, but I'm not sure which one to choose.
Am open to any kind of cuisine and would love to try something new!
Sunnin is very good. I've asked them about parking, and they say you can park in the lower level of the Ross Dress for Less lot, further north on WW.
Philly West makes the most reasonably priced philly cheesesteak that I've found. Bar atmosphere, with bigscreen TVs and games, but several tables with table service. Soft drinks are pricey, but they will refill them for free.
Zankou Chicken is a gem. I buy a whole rotisserie chicken and ask for half to eat there and half to wrap up to take home. Their garlic paste smeared on the pita with the chicken torn off and wrapped up is a great sandwich.
Further south on WW from SM Blvd is Feast from the East, which I love for their chinese chicken salad. You can park in the shared lot just north. Many on this board prefer the Chinese Chicken Salad from California Chicken Cafe, a bit further south, but I'm a Feast fan.
The magic ingredient is potatoes, per the following "Classic Chowhound" threads describing years and years of Houndly obsession with Zankou's garlic sauce:
BTW, after years of mostly getting the rotisserie chicken, posts on this board convinced me to try the chicken tarna and lo and behold I discovered they were right, it's the tarna that really excels at Zankou.
I join the crowd voting Sunnin as the best at this corner. But here's even more low-price options in walking distance (especially once the road construction is over):
Canary Chicken House, 1942 Westwood: Persian sandwich/grill shop, fresh fruit juices
Westwood Burgers, 1945-1/2 Westwood: big selection of burgers and dogs of all kinds
California Chicken Cafe, 2005 Westwood: my wife's second-favorite place to pick up lunch on her way to the office in the afternoon.
Bristol Farms, 1515 Westwood: not what normally comes to mind from the word "inexpensive", but actually they make decent paninis and deli sandwiches that aren't too outrageous.
Fresh Corn Grill, 1510 Westwood: new place with small menu featuring excellent corn chowder and good grilled chicken, see this thread: http://www.chowhound.com/topics/show/...
Attari Patough Sandwich, 1388 Westwood: the best Persian sandwiches, and a single, irresistable, soup.
Zankou Chicken, 1716 Sepulveda (only .5 mile from the SM/Westwood corner, sayeth Yahoo): needs no introduction!
There's a lot of good cheap eats around there.
1. Ambla Dhaba (sp?). Indian. Just north of SM/WW intersection. Used to be beter, IMO, but tasty.
2. Eduardo's burritos. Just S of SM/WW (on east side). My favorite are the chicken burrito - original and the spinach/mushroom quesadilla. Really fresh and much better than baja fresh (but similar).
3. Philly West. Just S of SM/WW (on east side). Great sandwiches. The hoagie steak is delicious!! The hoagies are very reasonably priced and you can get 1/2 sandwich.
4. Westwood Country Cafe - I'm not positive that's the name. It's on Westwood/La Grange. This place is fantastic. I recently ate here and had the veggie/goat cheese panini. It was very flavorful. The prices are a little more than philly west, but the panini sandwiches are served w/salad. They have a very big menu and lots of specials like meatloaf and other american fare.
5. Sunnin is very good. Shahrzad is also ok - but I don't think it is as good as Sunnin.