Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Jun 22, 2006 01:23 AM

Suggestions for a top quality saute pan

I am in the market for a really good saute pan and have narrowed it down to a Demeyere, a Mauviel, and an All-Clad. Any advice? And has anyone tried out the new Henckels?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. I am a devout All-Clad fan--I suggest you buy their 12-inch fry pan. Most people never buy one that large, but the extra two inches makes a big difference! It conducts heat evenly and dependably (and has an extra handle like the kind on stockpots.) A worthwhile investment...

    2 Replies
    1. re: ChowClown

      The one drawback to All-Clad is the puny handles, which make serious chef style pan shaking and flipping difficult to impossible, and pretty much force you to use spatulas. Defininitly simulate your pan use before you buy one.

      1. re: ChowClown

        Generally, people don't use "fry pan" and "saute pan" interchangably. A saute pan generally refers to a pan with straight sides, or slightly angled sides. A fry pan generally has shorter sides and they are sloped outwards to a greater degree. For many applications, of course, you could easily get by with either one, but technically they aren't the same thing. A saute pan is designed to (surprise) saute foods, and also to braise foods in a small amount of liquid (hence the lid). The fry pan is designed to (surprise) fry foods in a shallow amount of fat. The angled sides allows steam to dissipate more quickly than the flat sides of a saute pan.

        As for the original poster's question: all of the brands you mentioned are excellent. I think it is probably worth finding a retail store that has all three so you can get an idea about how they feel to you. Much of this comes down to personal preference.

      2. I am slowly building up a collection of Calphalon One pots and pans, I have a 10 inch sautee pan and have my eyes on the 12 incher. I like the feel of these pans, the heft to them, and the handles seem ergonomically just right for me. The Calphalon One are the infused anodyzed, not quite teflon like, but no nasty petro-chemical coating to wear off either.

        2 Replies
        1. re: ChinoWayne

          The original poster is looking for a saute pan and it sounds like you are describing a fry pan. With a saute pan you generally want the food to stick, to some degree, to the pan. You want to create that beautiful "fond" -- those browned bits of meat or vegetables that stick to the pan, and then you deglaze the pan with a flavorful liquid. My impression is that the goal of the Calphalon One series is that you get a little bit of this stickiness, but also a little bit of the non-stick feature also. I'd prefer to stick with a saute pan that is stainless steel in the interior, and then use a real nonstick fry pan for those dishes that require it.

          1. re: Darren72

            The way I cook, I never have a problem leaving plenty of fond inside my Calphalon One pans. When I do, and it was not on purpose, a little soak with water later, and it all comes right out with some dish soap and one of those sponges with the "rough" side to them (much easier than cleaning my old stainless/copper pans).