HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >
What's your latest food quest?
TELL US

Scientists Develop Blowfish Minus Poison

s
Sthitch Jun 9, 2004 02:05 PM

I have had fugu in Tokyo, and have to say that if it were not for the thrill that I could die from it, it would have been one of the least memorable moments of my life. So what fun is it without the poison?

Link: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl...

  1. c
    Chris G. Jun 9, 2004 02:28 PM

    I've only eaten fugu once - in Tokyo as well, as a guest at a very expensive dinner. To me, the flavor and texture wasn't that much different than that of similar, small, white-fleshed rock fish. But the *big* difference was that my mouth and lips became numb after I ate it. It gave me quite a buzz (fortunately, it was the last course).

    Apparently, some of the most expert fugu chefs (in Japan sushi chefs have to train for at least three years to serve fugu) cut the fish so just a slight amount of poison is released into it. Without the poison, there'd be no numbness, so what's the point? You might as well just eat sculpin for a fraction of the cost.

    1. g
      GoalieJeff Jun 9, 2004 11:39 PM

      No fun at all . Plus , I am kinda skeptical of their method of " removing " the toxin . I always thought it was from a bacterium present in the fish , also found in the blue ringed octopus , that science has yet to adequately explain how it ( the bacteria ) got there . Interestingly , the same toxin is reportedly used in voodoo zombie ceremonies , ala that movie with Bill Pullman ( gaa , I can remember his name , but not the movie title , infuriating ) And yes , the tingle is the thing . Otherwise I'll stay here in Michigan and eat trout .

      1 Reply
      1. re: GoalieJeff
        s
        Sthitch Jun 10, 2004 09:49 AM

        Is the movie The Serpent and the Rainbow?

      Show Hidden Posts