HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >

crystallized honey?

a
Allie D'Augustine Nov 9, 2002 10:52 AM

So, I decided to have tea this morning instead of coffee: mistake.

I've had my squeeze bottle of Trader Joe's honey sitting in my cabinet for a while, apparently, and when I tried to squeeze some in my tea nothing came out. It was crystallized in a lump. And, of course, the neck of the bottle is too small to get a spoon in, and I'm out of chopsticks. I wouldn't settle for sugar for my tea. :)

I was wary of putting the whole thing in the microwave -- I know sugar can get very hot, very quickly. I ran the bottle under hot water and managed to scrape out a chunk of crystallized honey to melt into my tea. What I'm wondering is: is there any way to fix the honey so that it goes back to its original state? I know it hastn't spoiled; it smells and tastes fine. Should I give up and get new honey?

Thanks,
Allie

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
Delete
  1. p
    Paul H RE: Allie D'Augustine Nov 9, 2002 11:06 AM

    Put it in the microwave oven. Heat it up a little at a time if you are worried about superheating it. It will go back to a nice syrup and you can use it. After a few weeks it will harden up again. Melt it again. It's perfectly safe.

    1. j
      JK Grence (the Cosmic Jester) RE: Allie D'Augustine Nov 9, 2002 11:36 AM

      Honey never, ever goes bad. Some time ago, archaeologists found a pot of honey in an Egyptian tomb that appeared to be over 3000 years old- it was still good. If you stick it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds at a time on medium it will revert to its liquid state very easily.

      1. 2
        2chez mike RE: Allie D'Augustine Nov 9, 2002 12:45 PM

        If you are averse to the microwave, just put the jar of honey in a pan of warm water, on the stove, for a few minutes.

        Honey never goes bad. The ancients used it as a main ingredient to preserve mummys.

        1 Reply
        1. re: 2chez mike
          z
          zora RE: 2chez mike Nov 9, 2002 09:46 PM

          You might want to carefully liquefy it on a low setting in the microwave and then transfer it to a glass jar for the future. Then you'll have the option of heating it in a pan of water on the stove. I'm not sure how well those soft plastic squeeze bottles handle high heat.

        2. b
          Bruce H. RE: Allie D'Augustine Nov 12, 2002 05:34 AM

          If you don't use much, maybe the easiest thing would be to transfer it to a wide mouth jar that you can get a spoon into.

          There are gentler alternatives to the microwave and the stove for warming it. put it under a desk lamp for a day, or in a south facing window, or near the pilot light on the stove, or on top of the water heater, etc.

          Show Hidden Posts