HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >

technical name for the tosser thing used in pomme frites

joe Sep 26, 2002 02:14 AM

you know that aluminum funnel shaped utensil they use in pomme frites shops? is there a name for it?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. w
    WLA RE: joe Sep 26, 2002 10:28 AM

    Here is a link to the American version. Maybe in French it would be a Frite Bagger?

    Link: http://www.bigtray.com/productlist.as...

    2 Replies
    1. re: WLA
      Carey RE: WLA Sep 6, 2006 06:51 PM

      I believe the item is used after the second frying....looks a lot like a colander, only has holes in bottom, and a catch attachment for any grease that comes off while tossing and salting the pommes frites. I am looking for infor on finding one of these. Thanks

      1. re: Carey
        cemott3rd RE: Carey May 3, 2009 08:54 PM

        www.friteshop.com seems to sell them. ;-)

    2. c
      cemott3rd RE: joe May 3, 2009 08:52 PM

      I'm American and was a chef in Amsterdam for 4 years in total (during 1990-2001) and ran a busy pub/cafe called Mr. Cocos which had all you could eat "BBQ" ribs and chicken which came with fries and 3 sauces. In Holland they are naturally on the Flemish side of the 'Great Fry Debate' that the Flemish NOT the French invented the fry. Who is right, that I am not sure but Vlaamse Patat or Flemish Fries are sold everywhere and when done right and served with the array of sauces (like sate and curry) are awesome! So to answer your question, in the Flemish/Dutch speaking part of Europe, this aluminum funnel shaped utensil is called a Frit Bakje (bok-ya).

      Show Hidden Posts