HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >

bavette - what cut is this?

foodfirst Jul 24, 2002 06:50 AM

A friend asked, and though I've had a bavette I have no idea. Immediately thought of chowhound, of course. So -- what part of the cow is this? Is it more commonly known by another name?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. w
    WLA RE: foodfirst Jul 24, 2002 09:48 AM

    I have seen this with a couple of different terms added to it. bavette aloyau, which was described as thin flank gooseskirt and bavette flanchet, which is flank steak. But the operative term here is flank steak.

    1 Reply
    1. re: WLA
      Jake-O RE: WLA Jul 25, 2002 05:35 PM

      I've seen it on the menu, but never in a place where i was willing to "experiment"

    2. t
      Tom Steele RE: foodfirst Jul 24, 2002 11:33 AM

      Bavette is also the sirloin tip. And in Italy, it's ALSO narrow ribbons of pasta! Odd that a relatively obscure food word should have two completely different meanings.

      1. j
        Jim H. RE: foodfirst Jul 24, 2002 01:06 PM

        Unfortunately (like Humpty-Dumpty) meat dealers make words mean whatever they want. Take "chateaubriand" as an example. Many markets call a sirloin tip a "chateaubriand"...or almost any other cut of meat. When called on it, they always have some double-talk. One market we used to have had a "Diamond Jim roast", a "butcher steak" (which could be anything), "velvet steak", and "filet of bavette" (whatever that is), and so on. I think that D.A. regs require they tell you at least the part of the steer the cut is from. Recently, I was in a market that called a whole, untrimmed beef tenderloin in the bag a "filet mignon". When I called him on it, he looked at me like I was crazy. And yet, some fool thinks he's getting five pounds of "filet mignon."

        1 Reply
        1. re: Jim H.
          Sharuf RE: Jim H. Apr 29, 2010 04:26 AM

          --One market we used to have had a "Diamond Jim roast", [etc.[ ... -- You're talking about dear departed Petrini's in the Bay Area, right? They certainly did take linguistic liberties.

        2. r
          ronr RE: foodfirst Jul 24, 2002 01:35 PM

          Dear Foodfirst,

          According to "The Chef's Companion", bavette is either sirloin tip or flank steak.

          2 Replies
          1. re: ronr
            Damon Ewasko RE: ronr Feb 21, 2006 01:19 AM

            I've seen this term on a menu and wanted to know what it means. In my search I found that bavette can be a pasta, meat and even a corsete. Which leads me to understand that it has something to do with the waist area and/ or something that is long flat (ie.meat or pasta). It seems to be a shape not a portion of meat.

            Thank you

            1. re: Damon Ewasko
              Jeremy Newel RE: Damon Ewasko Feb 21, 2006 05:39 PM

              I think bavette is what Merle Ellis in his book "Cutting Up in the Kitchen" calls a hanging tender or hanger steak. In France it is called onglet. A delicious cut when not not cooked beyond medium rare.

          2. t
            TaylorSka RE: foodfirst Apr 27, 2010 09:32 PM

            Bavette is from the sirloin, the area between the porterhouse and the hind leg. It is called flap meat or bottom sirloin flap or steak tips depending on the market. It's all bavette.

            1. w
              Whats_For_Dinner RE: foodfirst Apr 28, 2010 03:46 PM

              Hopefully this works:

              Steak tails, flap steak, bavette. Definitely not the same thing as hanger or sirloin tip and should be differentiated from "flank steak" too.

              1. h
                Harters RE: foodfirst Apr 29, 2010 05:52 AM

                We'd normally call it "skirt" although you sometimes see it as "flank".

                1. BobB RE: foodfirst May 4, 2010 08:51 AM

                  More background on bavette and onglet: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/512119

                  Show Hidden Posts