HOME > Chowhound > General Topics >

mushroom soup/strange dreams

c
Chowbabe Mar 2, 2001 03:59 PM

Hello all--
I recently made a wild mushroom soup, froze it, and ate the leftovers a week later. My husband claims that both times he ate it he had bizarre dreams on those nights. No, the soup was not made with "magic mushrooms"--just chanterelles, dried morels, shitaki, cremini, and portobello. But my husband claims that even these mushrooms can have a trace of halucinogenics. I think that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Any validity to his connecting the dreams to these shrooms? I slept through both nights as per usual.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
Delete
  1. m
    Melanie Wong RE: Chowbabe Mar 2, 2001 07:09 PM

    Some people are more sensitive than others to a slight toxicity in morels. I'd never had enough in one sitting to really find out until there was a fresh morel and chicken dish at a local restaurant. I was very ill that night.

    5 Replies
    1. re: Melanie Wong
      t
      Tom Steele RE: Melanie Wong Mar 3, 2001 12:15 PM

      I find that I'm just slightly sensitive to FRESH morels, batch by batch. Sometimes, nothing but delight; other times, weirdness, though more dyspepsia than hallucinations. I have pretty strange dreams whenever I dream, so I don't think I'd have connected any particular dream with the morels.

      NOTHING weird with dried morels, however, which is what I'm freely assuming you used, Chowbabe, since morels aren't "in season" for a month or so.

      1. re: Tom Steele
        c
        Chowbabe RE: Tom Steele Mar 4, 2001 06:59 PM

        Yes, I used dried morels. Interesting to know about the sensitivity, though. Many thanks to you and Melanie for your responses. Maybe my husband isn't so crazy after all...

        1. re: Chowbabe
          m
          Melanie Wong RE: Chowbabe Mar 5, 2001 12:14 AM

          If you'd like another idea for using morels, see my post on the SF board about Saturday's lunch, La Paulée.

        2. re: Tom Steele
          m
          Melanie Wong RE: Tom Steele Mar 5, 2001 12:12 AM

          You've just jogged something from memory. I seem to recall that undercooked morels are more toxic. Maybe the drying process also de-toxifies the compound.

          My reaction included some numbing and a feeling of almost paralysis in the jaw, also gastric upset.

          1. re: Melanie Wong
            b
            bryan RE: Melanie Wong Mar 5, 2001 12:29 AM

            You MUST cook morels, if fresh! You're a very lucky girl Mel. You could have died. And where would I get all that wonderful wine info.?

      Show Hidden Posts