HOME > Chowhound > Cookware >
Do you create unique foods? Tell us about it

Coil that boils water/liquids

Ora Jun 15, 2006 08:09 PM

Do they still sell the following applicance (I don't really know what to call, which might explan why I can't find it):

A heating element that you can stick into a mug of coffee/tea/soup and heats the liquid to a boil. It is ideal for traveling, dorm rooms,offices etc.

I like to find this to take on a trip. Years ago, I recall my college room mate having one, but I used a hot pot--which is too bulky for my trip (via airplane).

Any help as always appreciated. Thanks!

  1. f
    freddie Jun 16, 2006 12:11 AM

    i recall a thread about this (maybe about a year ago? you can try to search) which warned about fire risk. be careful!

    1 Reply
    1. re: freddie
      DT Jun 16, 2006 01:29 AM

      Someone gave me a really cheapo one, and it melted in the cup! Yes, the cup had water in it.

    2. k
      Karl Jun 15, 2006 10:28 PM

      I have gotten immersion heaters in drug stores. I do not believe they are difficult to find.

      1. a
        Aaron Jun 15, 2006 10:07 PM

        I don't know if there are any such stores in Manhattan, but any equestrian/horse supply store will have them. They are used for heating buckets of water for various barn and horse activities.

        1. d
          Das Ubergeek Jun 15, 2006 08:46 PM

          It's called an immersion heater.

          1. w
            withalonge Jun 15, 2006 08:32 PM

            you mean something like this?

            Link: http://www.korjo.com/cpa/htm/htm_korj...

            5 Replies
            1. re: withalonge
              Ora Jun 15, 2006 08:35 PM

              Here it is...seems expensive for what it is...wonder if I can find it cheaper in Manhattan???

              Link: http://www.magellans.com/store/Applia...

              1. re: Ora
                D.Gresh Jun 16, 2006 07:16 AM

                I have one of these (have had it for years; they're great, just be careful to stick it in the water before you plug it in, and unplug it before you take it out of the water; it can overheat and be ruined very quickly). Even 12.95 seems kind of pricy. I think even my grocery store sells this thing-- you know, along the sides up high where they put all the weird gadgets (drain plugs, tongs, whatever). And I would think that Walmart or the like would sell this. Maybe even an old fashioned HW store.

                1. re: D.Gresh
                  MMMM Jun 16, 2006 07:43 AM

                  Bed & Beyond has them on their wall of small kitchen gadgets

                  1. re: MMMM
                    Ora Jun 17, 2006 11:47 PM

                    I bought the very last one at the 65 St Bed Bath and Beyond today. Thanks you!!!!!!

                2. re: Ora
                  yayadave Jun 16, 2006 09:32 AM

                  This one is probably higher priced because of the dual voltage feature. I'll bet it's cheaper at Wally World.

              Show Hidden Posts