HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
Are you making a specialty food? Share your adventure


n Apr 14, 2006 06:36 PM

What is a salamander? How big are they? Are industrial/restaurant salamanders larger than those used in home kitchens? Thanks

  1. j
    Jim Washburn Apr 14, 2006 08:04 PM

    I used to have in my home a big Wolf stove with a salamander. It is a wonderful machine for broiling, but it is big, heavy, expensive, and throws a lot of heat into the room. It doesn't have a door like an oven door. If you are considering one for your home, I emphatically recommend that you go where you can see one in action. I'd say it really isn't appropriate for most home kitchens.


    1 Reply
    1. re: Jim Washburn
      Curtis Apr 14, 2006 09:29 PM

      Heh, I think one thing to keep in mind when getting appliances for the kitchen is "Do you want your kitchen to be as warm as a hot line in the middle of service?"

    2. a
      Aaron Apr 14, 2006 07:08 PM

      A Salamander is a very short (in vertical dimension) oven that is used for super high heat broiling...think a home broiler on steroids. Restaurant salamanders are quite long, to allow for many dishes to be blasted with heat at a time, melting cheese, creating crusts, etc.
      There are home versions, I know Viking makes one, that aren't as long. Martha Stewart had one such example on one of her many sets over the years, and I recently saw a similar model in an interview with Jeffrey Steingarten on Food Network.

      1. w
        Wayne Keyser Apr 14, 2006 06:56 PM

        I always understood it to be a mini-broiler used in the restaurant kitchen to do things like melt cheese all over your plate of Mexican-chain-restaurant dinner (that's why "look out, this plate is very hot")

        1. g
          Gooseberry Apr 14, 2006 06:43 PM

          Actually looked this up a week ago. It is most commonly a machine which grills, but traditionally it's a branding iron used to caramelize sugar, like on creme brulee. I think you can still buy the terracotta dishes used for crema catalana (Spanish equivalent of creme caramel) which come with a salamander which fits the dish perfectly.

          I first saw one on 'sugar rush' on the food network, on a piece on Lady M patisseries. They use it on their crepe cake. Very impressive. One swipe, and the sugar caramelized and hardened.

          Show Hidden Posts