Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
Oct 6, 2005 03:33 PM

Unusual Baking Form--What is it for?

  • f

I ran across 10 oval "cookie cutters", as it were (1 1/4 inch tall ovals, measuring about 7" long and 3" at the widest part).

They are made by Bridgeford Foods in Anaheim, Ca., who makes bread dough found in the freezer section of supermarkets.

Are they for forming dough prior to freezing??

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. I wonder if they're for those French lemon-almond candies? They're about that size, I think. Almandine, maybe is the name?

    1. Maybe giant lady fingers or milano cookies???

      1. I imagine that they are for cutting rolled, thawed Bridgeford bread dough into hot dog bun shapes. You would let them rise and then bake them according to the roll instructions on the bread dough's package.

        2 Replies
        1. re: Nancy Berry

          They might also be forms in which you would place pieces of the thawed bread dough to rise so that they would be in the shape of "torpedo" or "hoagie" or "sub" rolls when they were fully risen.

          1. re: Nancy Berry

            Those ideas make great sense!