Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
Aug 16, 2005 03:09 PM

Unglazed Quarry Tiles

  • f

I've been wanting to get unglazed quarry tiles to make a stone for my oven-- as per several books I've read. The problem is, every time I go to Home Depot the people that work there have no idea what I'm talking about, I can't find anything that says unglazed quarry tiles, and I don't know what they exactly look like or what section they are supposed to be in. Can someone help me out with some kind of description or source or something?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. they're generally going to be 8"-9" square, 3/8"-1/2" thick, and terra cotta/brown in color. there should be no glaze visible on the flat (baking) surface. if you run your finger across the wear surface, it should feel slightly rough, not smooth like a ceramic tile. they will scratch easier than a glazed tile.

    try asking for the tile/flooring department manager. they're usually a little more educated on the product.

    1. Or just order one on the Internet.


      1. They appear to be the same material as terracotta flower pots, if that helps. I've had mine (originally purchased at HD) for years.

        1. Try asking for unglazed terra cotta tiles or unglazed "mexican style" tiles. Maybe then they will have a clue.

          1. I just use a large terracotta hmm, I guess you'd call it a drip tray? It's what you'd put under a pot to catch the water when it flows out. I turn it upside down and use the bottom of it when I want to cook with it, and it stays inthe oven the rest of the time.