HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
What have you made lately?

Tube pans with feet?

Caviar Jul 17, 2005 10:07 PM

Why don't tube pans come with feet anymore? All of my mother's old ones have feet so angel food cakes can be cooled upside-down. None of the newer ones have these, and many of them have a tube that's too small to be fitted over a bottle. What are you supposed to do for cakes that need to be cooled inverted?

Any idea where I can find the old style? (NYC or mail order).

  1. j
    JK Grence (the Cosmic Jester) Jul 18, 2005 12:37 PM

    Balance the center verrrrry carefully on top of something slender. If you can manage this, go audition for Cirque du Soleil.

    I see tube pans with feet frequently in my thrift store shopping expeditions. You should be able to pick one up at a decent thrift store for under 5 bucks.

    Link: http://thecosmicjester.blogspot.com

    1. y
      yenni Jul 18, 2005 08:39 AM

      Or you could simply invert it onto the neck of a heavy glass bottle and save some money and space.

      2 Replies
      1. re: yenni
        Caviar Jul 18, 2005 10:33 AM

        As I noted, a number of the new pans I looked at have tubes that are too narrow to fit over a bottle, even from major manufacturers.

        My question was as much "what do they expect you to do with this pan?" as it was "where can I find another one?".

        I don't understand why there's such a proliferation of tube pans that can't be inverted, since this is a basic requirement of making a sponge cake. Am I missing something?

        1. re: Caviar
          yenni Jul 18, 2005 08:59 PM

          oh poof! ---- use it as you would a bundt pan !!

      2. a
        anna Jul 17, 2005 10:51 PM

        Sur La Table carries the pan for $14.95 on the website.

        Link: http://surlatable.com/common/products...

        Show Hidden Posts