ideas for cooked salmon
I have a few cooked salmon fillets in the fridge. Any ideas on how to make them more interesting than eating them as is? FWIW, they are broiled king salmon fillets. Thanks!
You could flake it, make a lemon, dill and butter sauce and toss it in with some cooked pasta.
Or, you could serve it cold with a mayo/sour cream, grated cucumber and dill sauce. Grind in plenty of pepper.
Or, make a sort of salmon salad and stuff it into hollowed out cucumber slices.
It sounds a little too fine for salmon patties, 'though I love them.
1. Salmon salad - chopped pickle or capers, minced onion, minced celery, enough mayonnaise (homemade pref.) to bind, good dollop of Tabasco. Flake the fish by hand, stir all together with a fork to the desired consistency. Great served in tomatoes or avocado halves, or spread onto toasted English muffins, topped w/cheese and broiled. I even made a fried salmon salad burrito which I loved, but that's just evil...
2. Salmon salad II - good greens, tomatoes in wedges, sliced hardboiled egg, big flakes of salmon, dressing of your choice...and whatever else sounds good.
3. Make a frittata with avocado, tomato, flaked salmon and green onion. Chop the onion and cook in butter or equivalent until soft and transparent. Put into a bowl with the salmon, three or four gigantic eggs, pinch of sea salt, lots of FG pepper, dollop or two of Tabasco. Preheat your oven to 400º, grease (thoroughly!) and heat up your iron skillet, pour in the egg stuff. Lay slices of avocado and tomato around the top in some attractive way, grate on some cheese if you want it, put the lid on and set it on a flame-tamer plate (if you're using gas) on low heat. Having a glass lid is helpful here, so you can monitor the level of doneness... when it seems to be setting up below the still-liquid surface, take it off the burner, remove the lid, and set it on the top shelf of the oven for only a few minutes, just until the eggs are set (no longer shiny at all). Serves two hungry people.
Will and Pat, your suggestions made my mouth water so much, I had to make some of my own. I love this site.
1. Warm in micro for 30 seconds, then make a salmon steak sandwich using lemon caper mayo (zest and juice from one lemon, 1 - 2 T capers and 3 - 4 Tablespoons mayo). Use toasted onion rolls and garnish with roasted red peppers for an extra special treat.
2. Flake and toss with warm cooked cheese tortellini, crisp-tender green beans, chopped kalamata olives, in a nice vinagrette - serve over arugula or baby spinach with crusty bread - YUM!
Cover them with barbecue sauce (Sweet Baby Ray is good) and heat them in oven or microwave. Have with cornbread and cole slaw.