Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
Mar 1, 2005 04:23 PM

Dried Chilis in Italian Recipes?

  • l

hi. I just got the River Cafe Easy Italian cookbook, and many of the recipes call for "crumbled dried chilis." What type of chilis are they referring to? Red pepper flakes? Or is there something else I should be using?

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. f

    Dried crused red pepper flakes are what American recipes generally call them.

    4 Replies
    1. re: farmersdaughter

      I think you meant crushed.

      1. re: Candy

        You are right, thanks for correcting. When I multitask while at work my hands and my brain sometimes get out of synch.

        1. re: farmersdaughter

          Or just moving from computer to computer. Different keyboards always throw me off too.

      2. re: farmersdaughter

        Dried pepperoncini (not the pickled yellow deli pepper!) is the correct ingredient, but the ubiquitous crushed red pepper flake will do.

        Note that British, Indian, and many translated Continental recipes specify "chili" while "chile" is the proper American English word so that that contentious southwestern dish isn't dragged into the discussion...