HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
Brewing beer, curing meat, or making cheese? Get great advice

rice wine substitution

Pam Feb 28, 2005 11:04 AM

If I can't find rice wine in my state store, what can I substitute in a spicy beef with peppers stir fry?

  1. y
    yimster Feb 28, 2005 11:10 AM

    You can use a dry sherry or cream sherry in place of rice wine is Chinese stir fry dishes. The taste will be very close and in some case even be better.

    1 Reply
    1. re: yimster
      Carb Lover Feb 28, 2005 12:24 PM

      Yes, dry sherry would be my first choice. If I don't have that on hand, then I've used sake or dry white wine in the past.

    2. a
      Adrienne Feb 28, 2005 01:21 PM

      I don't think that a liquor store is the place to buy rice wine -- it's more like cooking wine. You would buy it at an Asian grocer.

      Show Hidden Posts