Lemon Cupcakes or other great cupcake recipes?
- jar Feb 3, 2005 11:21 AM
Hi - my aunt who is an amazing baker agreed to make cupcakes for my wedding. I think i remember seeing a lemon cupcake with lemon curd recipe somewhere. Has anyone seen this? Or any lemon cupcake or other great cupcake recipes? I think she is going to do 3 different varieties. A lemon, chocolate and I can't think of a third one?
The current issue of Food and Wine magazine has a chocolate cupcake with ganache frosting and a peanut butter filing.
I made them over the weekend and I was very pleased with the results. We did not add the peanut butter filling but I am going to work on a creme fraiche filling for the next batch.
Deep, dark chocolate flavor. The Valroha cocoa I used was probably responsible for the excellent flavor. I have never had a cocoa based cake that was this good before. Scharfengerger icing.
I can also say that they held up for several days well, which would allow your Aunt some leeway.
My favorite cupcake recipe is from Barefoot Contessa (I can't remember which one of her four cookbooks... but her website would...) and is the coconut cupcake. If you bake it with the timing she suggests, it turns out tender and delicious! I am always being asked to bring them to any event with food!!
I got married last year and baked 200 mini-cupcakes for dessert. Half were chocolate fudge and the other half were lemon with lemon curd - both recipes were excellent. The recipes came from Bonnie Stern's latest cookbook (I live in Toronto and Bonnie is a well-known cooking personality here). If you're not familiar with the cookbook, let me know and I will type up the recipe for you.
It was a lot of fun to bake them. I made my life much saner by baking the cupcakes, filling them with lemon curd and then freezing them in ziploc containers a week in advance. They defrosted perfectly. I stayed over at my best friend's house the night before the wedding and we got up early the morning of to ice and decorate them (two shades of pink sprinkles). It was actually a very fun and relaxing start to the perfect day that followed. Here's the recipe - makes about 2 dozen cupcakes or 70 mini-cupcakes:
1 c. butter, room temp.
1-3/4 c. granulated sugar
1 tbsp. grated lemon peel
6 egg whites
2 tbsp. vanilla
3 c. all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1-1/2 c. milk
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Cream butter and sugar until very light. Beat in egg whites two at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Using a wooden spoon, blend flour into butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Do not overmix. Stir in lemon peel.
4. Divide better into cupcake/mini-cupcake tins (non-stick or lined with paper - I think they're nicer with liners). Bake mini-cupcakes for 18-20 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool in tins for 10 minutes and then invert on to a rack to cool completely. Once cooled, scoop out a hole in each with a melon baller and fill with lemon curd. Once set, ice and decorate.
1/2 c. lemon juice
1 tbsp. grated lemon peel
2/3 c. granulated sugar
1. In a saucepan, combine lemon juice, peel and sugar. Bring to a boil.
2. Beat eggs in a medium bowl. Whisk in hot lemon juice mixture. Return everything to saucepan and cook on medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until thick and bubbling. Strain if you wish, transfer to a clean bowl and chill.
Lemon Vanilla Icing
1 c. butter, at room temp.
5-6 c. icing sugar, sifted
1/6 c. milk
1/6 c. lemon juice
2 tsp. vanilla
1. In a large bowl, beat butter until light. Gradually beat in approx. 4 c. icing sugar. Beat in milk, lemon juice and vanilla. Gradually beat in remaining icing sugar. You may need to rebeat and/or add in more icing sugar and/or milk to get the consistency right, especially once you start icing.