Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
Jan 21, 2005 07:04 PM

refitting my gas stove?

  • m

Does anyone know how/whether I can refit one of my gas stove's burners with something that will give me higher heat for chinese wok cooking? I rent my place, and the gay stove came with the apartment. It's a Magic Chef - not sure if there's a model number or anything.

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. An, um, friend of mine had one of his burners drilled out to provide a hotter (and highly illegal) wok flame. Be sure you get someone who knows what they're doing if you go this route.

    By the way, "gay stove" is one of the funnier typos I've seen in a long time.

    - er


    1 Reply
    1. re: enrevanche

      Ooh yes, I hadn't considered the legal aspect. And yes, gay stove is an amusing typo. I must now march at pride with a T-shirt that says "I love my gay stove". (After I refit it, of course)

    2. I think landlords purposefully put wimpy gas stoves in apartments for a reason...because they are cheaper and have wimpier burners.

      Honestly, it's not the safest thing to retrofit a gas stove to crank out more BTUs, because a stove is designed a certain way (with wimpy burners or not) at the onset.

      Your LL would probably be mighty pissed if you actually did retrofit (I wonder if that would void your lease and give him cause to evict you..., as it may endanger your neighbors).

      The easiest way to get a higher cranking BTU burner stove would be to negotiate one with your LL. You could offer to buy one yourself and get it installed with his approval, with the understanding that you will take it with you when you leave. You can easily get a range with at least one 15K BTU burner or higher for less than $1.5K.

      Too bad you didn't have an old O'Keefe & Merrit or Wedgewood. Those, on the other hand, are quite easy to adjust to give you some serious cooking power (BTUs not rated).