Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
Jan 18, 2005 10:24 AM

digestive biscuits??

  • e

I have a recipe from the UK for a chocolate fridge cake that calls for digestive bisuits?

What are they??

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. They are whole meal crackers. You usually can find them either in the imported foods at your supermarket or sometimes right in with the Triscuits etc. Wheatolo is a brand that comes to mind. Often the packets are round. The flavor resembles graham crackers but they are much thicker.

    1. They are wheatmeal biscuits. Available in the cookie aisle. If you can get McVities in the red packet as Chocolate Fridge Cake was invented for these - well that and tea dunking ;-)

      1. Carr's also makes digestives. If you have a Cost Plus World Market near you, you might find some there.

        1. In San Francisco I have been able to find them in the past at Mollie Stones in the British section.

          You could use graham crackers instead. It wouldn't be the same, but might suffice.

          Incidentally, digestives are absolutely great spread with salty butter and topped with a sharp English cheddar cheese. Yum.

          1 Reply
          1. re: Sixy beast

            I love them with a French triple creme cheese called Borseault. Divine combination.

          2. a
            Amin (London Foodie)


            Naomi and Candy are right. Try and get McVities
            if you can, as they're good. Excellant for dunking
            with tea.

            Let me know if you can't find it.
            Best Wishes