Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
Jan 12, 2005 02:45 PM

"pan roasting"

  • o

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "pan roasting" the same as frying (or, for les distingues, sauteeing?)

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. No, it's different. Frying is using the high heat of fat to steam out the water in a food and cook it (deep frying is done to keep the temperature of the fat relatively high so that the food absorbs less of the fat, but I digress). Sauteeing involves periodic tossing of food in a bit of fat to cook it by the heat of the pan; the word "saute" refers to when the food "leaps" as you jerk the pan forth and back, which is why a saute pan has curved sides.

    Pan roasting is where you use a bit of fat to sear and crust something (you don't want to move it around, because that will disrupt searing and crust formation), and then you finish it in that pan in the oven, where the radiant heat from the surfaces will finish the cooking process.

    3 Replies
    1. re: Karl S.

      Very good explanation, thank you. It turns out I don't know everything. :)

      1. re: Karl S.

        The process you describe is traditionally called "roasting".

        "Pan roasting" is done entirely on the stovetop. First over high heat to form a crust, but then over low heat on the stovetop to let the ambient heat from the pan finish the cooking. This is typically used for vegetables and fish, but it works with small tender cuts of meat too.

        1. re: Caviar

          Correct - the practice was necessitated by the fact that ovens, as we know them, were at one time not as common in European home kitchens. The "roasting" part is done covered, with only the minimum amount of liquid necessary to prevent burning.