Beef Stroganoff Recipe?
- Erin Jan 12, 2005 10:28 AM
Hello! I'm looking for a knock your socks off beef stroganoff recipe. My husband is returning from a business trip this weekend and I want to surprise him with his favorite dish. I rarely make it as I have not been able to find a really flavorful and delicious recipe. Can anyone pass along a great recipe that you have tried? Thank you!!
Julia Child's The Way to Cook has a good recipe, but I don't have it here to paraphrase for you.
There is only one authentic recipe for Beef Stroganoff, and you must use thin strips of tenderloin, not flank, stew meat, etc. Saute lightly in butter, add sliced onions, and finish with sour cream. Season to your liking. Traditionally, it is served over shoestring potatoes, but we like dill noodles.
Here is one Paraphrased from Cooks Ill. Don't forget to temper the cream.
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
12 ounces white button mushrooms , wiped clean and halved if small, quartered if medium, cut ino sixths if large
ground black pepper
3/4 pound beef tenderloin (about 2 fillets), cut into 1/8-inch strips
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 small onion , minced (1/2 cup)
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup sour cream
8 ounces egg noodles , cooked in salted water, drained, and tossed wih 2 tablespoons butter
1. Cook mushrooms over high heat without stirring for 30 seconds; season with salt and pepper and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are lightly browned, about 4 minutes longer. Transfer to medium bowl.
2. Return skillet to high heat, add oil if needed coat. Sauté meat. Make sure that strips do not touch. Cook without turning till well browned on first side. Turn strips over and cook till well-browned. Add Meat to mushrooms.
3. Add beef broth to skillet & deglaze. Reduce ¼ cup. Add broth to mushrooms/beef. Wipe skillet clean.
4. Skillet @ medium heat melt butter. Add onion, tomato paste, and brown sugar. Sauté till onion is lightly browned and softened.
Stir in flour until incorporated.
Whisk in chicken broth and wine, bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.
Whisk liquid from mushrooms and beef into sauce and simmer to incorporate.
Stir about 1/2 cup of hot sauce into sour cream, then stir mixture back into sauce.
Add mushrooms and beef; heat to warm through.
Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper
Serve over buttered egg noodles.