Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Home Cooking >
Jan 10, 2005 04:43 PM

What's this kind of ladle called?

  • c

I have this weird ladle I picked up in Chinatown - it's perfect for basting. I'd like to recommend that others buy one, or possibly buy more.

I've tried searching for "basting ladle", "basting spoon", "cooking ladle", and a number of other variations on this, to no avail.

Does it have a name? Any idea where these can be obtained via the internet?


  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. I don't know, but I've seen a number of antique silver punch ladles over the years that have this lip arrangement. New use for a punch ladle!

    1. Well, whatever it is, it's definitely for right-handers!

      1. It's a type of gravy ladle. For pouring. Some also call it a soup ladle. But it's a gravy ladle.

          1. re: lucia

            I tried searching for "pouring ladle", and only found ones with circular bowls (no curve). Have you seen this for sale somewhere that you could point me to?

          2. After some poking around in shops like the one I bought this in, I wasn't able to find an exact match, but I did get that the line is called "Bravo".

            That led me here:


            This wasn't quite the right shape (the head is too angled, but it gave me a name for the piece - "spout ladle".

            I found a more similar one here: