- Keri T.
I want to make chocolate cupcakes tonight, would people please share their favorite chocolate cake recipe?
I apologize for not posting the link, but epicurious.com has an absolutely scrumptious chocolate cake with thick-chocolatey frosting. Unfortunately I didn't save it in the recipe box and I don't remember the name. Maybe you'll have better luck, just type "chocolate cake" in the recipe search area... And may I recommend Scharffen Berger cocoa or chocolate for whatever recipe you end up making.
Use the recipe on back of the hershey's cocoa. You won't be disappointed. Also.there frosting is great too.
I baked the following chocolate cupcakes as well as lemon-filled cupcakes for my wedding a few months ago. Both recipes are from Bonnie Stern's "Essentials of Home Cooking" and they were delicious.
Double Fudge Chocolate Cupcakes
1/2 c. cocoa, sifted
2/3 cup (about 4 oz.) chopped unsweetened chocolate
1 c. boiling water
1 c. butter
1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 tbsp. vanilla
2-1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. milk
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Combine cocoa and unsweetened chocolate in a bowl. Pour boiling water over chocolate and let sit for 2 minutes. Whisk until smooth. Cool.
3. In a large bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter with both sugars until very light. Add eggs one at a time. Beat in vanilla and cooled chocolate mixture.
4. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add flour to butter mixture alternately with milk in three or four additions, beginning and ending with flour.
5. Fill 24 well buttered or paper-lined muffin cups (only 3/4 full as they rise). Bake in oven 20-25 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. You can also bake as mini-cupcakes, approx. 70. Recipe says to bake these for 10-12 minutes but I baked for 15.
3/4 c. butter, cut in small pieces
12 oz. semisweet or bittersweet choc., melted and cooled
1/3 c. cocoa, sifted
1 tbsp. vanilla
2-1/2-3 c. icing sugar, sifted
1/2 c. milk, approx.
1. In a large bowl or food processor, beat butter until light. Beat in cooled melted chocolate, cocoa and vanilla. Beat in icing sugar. Add milk (enough as is necessary) and beat until very cool and creamy.
2. Swirl or pipe icing on top of cupcakes.
So good! Enjoy.