hot & sour soup recipie?
HOT AND SOUR S0UP
4 dried mushrooms
1-2 T ground black pepper
2 squares fresh bean curd
2 T cider vinegar
½ cup bamboo shoots
3 T cornstarch (dissolved in cold water)
¼ lb pork, may add more
1 qt chicken stock
1 egg lightly beaten
1 T soy sauce
¼ cup tiger lily buds (golden needles)
¼ cup wood ears (cloud ears)
2 t sesame oil
1 scallion, minced
1. Soak the dried mushrooms, wood ears, and golden needles in hot water until soft, about ½ hour. Then remove stems from mushrooms and cut into large shreds. Divide golden needles lengthwise in half by hand. Slice wood ears. Reserve soaking liquid.
2. Shred bean curd, pork, and bamboo shoots.
3. Combine in pot the stock, soaking liquid, soy sauce, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, golden needles, pork, and wood
ears. Bring to a boil over high, heat. Then immediately reduce the heat to low and cover the pot and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Then drop in the bean curd, pepper, and vinegar.Bring to boil again.
5. Add some soup to the cornstarch mixture to warm it, and then pour it into the soup. Stir until the soup thickens. If it doesnt within a minute or so, just add more cornstarch paste.
6. When thickened, slowly pour in the beaten egg, stirring in a figure-eight pattern all, the time to avoid lumps
7. Just before serving, add sesame oil and sprinkle with scallions.
NOTE: It is important in this dish to have an equally strong flavor of vinegar and pepper. Keep adding either until you are satisfied with the tartness and spiciness.
Here is a great recipe. I make a lot of the basic stock, and freeze to use in my eastern cooking.
Hot and sour soup
4-6 dried shitake mushrooms, soaked
4 oz pork or chicken
1 cake tofu
2 oz sliced bamboo shoots
2½ cups basic stock (see below)
1 tbsp chinese rice wine or dry sherry
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
salt and pepper
1 tbsp corn starch paste
thinly slice the mushrooms, meat tofu and bamboo shoots. In a wok, bring the stock to a boil, and add the sliced ingredients. Bring back to a boil, and simmer for a minute or so. Add the seasonings, and bring back to a boil. Add the cornstarch paste and stir until thickened a bit. enjoy!!
1½ lbs chicken pieces
1½ lbs pork spareribs
15 cups cold water
3-4 pieces ginger, unpeeled and crushed
3-4 tbsp chinese rice wine or dry sherry
Place all in a stock pot and bring to a boil. Skim off the froth, and reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 hours. STrain the stock, discarding the meat, ginger and scallions. Refrigerate when cool, and put in small containers in the freezer. Can be used to flavor all kinds of Eastern recipes. Good lick