Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Manhattan >
Feb 8, 2006 04:06 PM

where can i buy the tea served in korean restaurants?

  • i

what is it called and is there a store that sells it in soho/w. vill/tribeca area?


  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Are you looking for barley tea? or persimmon tea? I don't know where to buy either downtown but you can get barley tea (ie, roasted barley) at any Korean grocery. Obviously in Koreatown, but I don't know if there are other Korean grocery stores in Manhattan or where they might be. You can make persimmon tea with dried persimmons, ginger, cinnamon, sugar and pine nuts.

    2 Replies
    1. re: Dbird

      Barley tea (bori-cha) is pretty easy to make, I think. Just barley.

      The Japanese mugi-cha is similar, but has green tea with the barley. These you can usually find bottled in Asian stores like M2M.

      1. re: Jane P.

        awesome! thanks dbird and jane p.