Best Dish in the City?
- njs Jul 16, 2001 11:27 AM
The best restaurants often have dishes that miss, and sometimes average places cook up just one plate deserving genuflection. Thus I get more excited about a great dish than a great restaurant, as this strips away most of the restaurant culture and distills dining back down to eating.
So I'd love to hear opinions on the best dish in the city.
My vote? I would have said the mushroom rissotto at Lespinasse in 97 before the changeover. In Philadelphia, if anyone cares, its the spinach gnocchi with smoked ricotta at Vetri. Now, in NY, I don't know. Maybe the sashimi salad at Nobu?
Enlighten me, please.
Before I even got to the end of your post, I was ready to send the sashimi salad at Nobu. Simply divine.
There's no way I could be so presumptuous as to claim any dish was the "best in the city": I just haven't been to enough restaurants, particularly upper-end ones. But I can post about some of MY favorite dishes from the past year. In no particular order:
(1) The beef muscle stew at Funky Broome
(2) The scallops with mashed potatoes/broccoli at the River Cafe (if soups count, the gazpacho, too)
(3) The cinghiale at I Coppi
(4) The artichoke/white bean appetizer at Lavagna
(5) The steamed chicken with black mushrooms (in casserole, IIRC) at Congee Village; also the lotus root with special red bean sauce
(6) The Aui Zhou Chicken at Grand Sichuan (even though it's salty and oily)
(7) The new utthapam-like thing made from crispy twice-cooked rice at Madras Cafe
Here are some of my personal favorites:
1) The Porterhouse Steak (for two) at Peter Luger
2) Sapporro Special Ramen at Sapporo Noodle House
3) Cantonese style Pork Chops at Hop Kee
4) Ox Tail & Tripe in hot oil appetizers at Wu Liang Ye
5) Souffle at La Caravelle
6) Unaju at Oikawa
7) Pepper flavored ice cream at Aquavit
8) Rib Eye Steak at Michael Jordan's Steakhouse
9) chocolate Croissant at Ceci Cela
10) Shabu Shabu at LAN Japanese Restaurant
11) Shiao Lung Pao (juicy steam buns with crab meat) at Joe Shanghai
12) Salt & Pepper Soft Shell Crabs at Pho Viet Phuong
13) Surf & Turf at Sparks Steak house
14) Skirt Steak with rice at Cabana
15) The Lobster dish at Asia de Cuba