Vietnamese/Thai on Peninsula?
- jon cook
My first post to this very cool site (thanks to Melanie Wong)!!!
Suggestions for worthwhile (not fancy) asian cuisine on the peninsula?
Any standouts that we could hit up mid-week, spur of the moment and not too spendy? Prefer south of SF, San Mateo and north.
Thanks in advance,
Hop across a bridge to Milpitas (yes, Milpitas) for the best Vietnamese/Thai our local group of chowhounds has found in the south bay:
1720 N. Milpitas Blvd.
Milpitas, CA 95035
Milpitas Blvd & Dixon Landing Road
1. Nippon Thai: on 25 th Ave in San Mateo 2-3 blocks west of El Camino on the south side of the street. Superb on the dozens of times I've been there. Go early if you want a seat at lunch. At dinner the place is yours.
2. Forget the name: on Broadway in Redwood City at the corner of El Camino (south side) - across from from Sequoia High. Not as good as #1, but very good.
3. Vietnamese: Tour Eiffel in Los Altos - Vietnamese and French
Here are my recommendations:
1. La Petite Camille - El Camino in Millbrae. I love the mixed meat hot pot with rice. Crowded at lunch time and service can be sporadic but well worth a visit.
2. Pho Hoa Ky - Broadway(?) in Millbrae. Down to earth no frills kind a place with excellent soups. I do enjoy their satay beef soup with rice noodle. Cheap, fast and and a good lunch specials menu. Best imperial rolls.
3. Thai Stick in Millbrae. On El Camino at the corner. I like their garlic and pepper chicken and ground pork eggplant. Another very busy place.
4. Bua Thong Kitchen - Thai, on Broadway in Burlingame. Fastest thai food. All the lunch specials I have had here are decent. They have good spicy noodles.
Check these out and let me know what you think of them. I know some of these have been reviewed here in previous postings.