Vietnamese/Thai on Peninsula?
- jon cook Feb 12, 2002 01:59 PM
My first post to this very cool site (thanks to Melanie Wong)!!!
Suggestions for worthwhile (not fancy) asian cuisine on the peninsula?
Any standouts that we could hit up mid-week, spur of the moment and not too spendy? Prefer south of SF, San Mateo and north.
Thanks in advance,
Hop across a bridge to Milpitas (yes, Milpitas) for the best Vietnamese/Thai our local group of chowhounds has found in the south bay:
1720 N. Milpitas Blvd.
Milpitas, CA 95035
Milpitas Blvd & Dixon Landing Road
1. Nippon Thai: on 25 th Ave in San Mateo 2-3 blocks west of El Camino on the south side of the street. Superb on the dozens of times I've been there. Go early if you want a seat at lunch. At dinner the place is yours.
2. Forget the name: on Broadway in Redwood City at the corner of El Camino (south side) - across from from Sequoia High. Not as good as #1, but very good.
3. Vietnamese: Tour Eiffel in Los Altos - Vietnamese and French
Here are my recommendations:
1. La Petite Camille - El Camino in Millbrae. I love the mixed meat hot pot with rice. Crowded at lunch time and service can be sporadic but well worth a visit.
2. Pho Hoa Ky - Broadway(?) in Millbrae. Down to earth no frills kind a place with excellent soups. I do enjoy their satay beef soup with rice noodle. Cheap, fast and and a good lunch specials menu. Best imperial rolls.
3. Thai Stick in Millbrae. On El Camino at the corner. I like their garlic and pepper chicken and ground pork eggplant. Another very busy place.
4. Bua Thong Kitchen - Thai, on Broadway in Burlingame. Fastest thai food. All the lunch specials I have had here are decent. They have good spicy noodles.
Check these out and let me know what you think of them. I know some of these have been reviewed here in previous postings.