Best Korean Restaurants in DC
- joyjooy May 17, 2006 09:14 AM
It has been a while since I had korean food.
I am so behind on the good korean restaurants in the area. Any recommendations?
I appreciate it.
My faves of the ones I've tried in descending order:
1. Han Sung Oak - Falls Church, the best bbq and hanjeonshik (multi-course meal)
2. Woomi - Wheaton, pretty decent selection of many traditional dishes including tabletop bbq.
3. Dae Sung Gwan - Wheaton, Korean-Chinese cuisine. jja-jang myeon and jjamp-pong, as well as korean versions of chinese dishes.
4. Woo Lae Oak - Pentagon City, good but expensive, not as many interesting or varied pan-chan (side dishes). known for their naeng-myeon (chilled cold noodle soup) and bibim-naeng-myeon (really spicy chilled noodle salad).
In DC proper, the only restaurant I'm aware of is Kuma, a korean-japanese place which is just ok.
There's a divey takeout Korean place called Adam Express in Mt. Pleasant that supposedly has decent korean items but I have yet to try it.
Another Korean place within DC limits - and like Adam Express, another dive - is Young's Deli at Capital City Market in NE, near the NY Ave Metro station and near Litteri's. Had a delicious & dirt cheap lunch there the other day even tho it's a hole in the wall in a rough & tumble neighborhood. $6 for entree, soup & 3 sides! Made fresh to order - my entree was not sitting on a steam table under a lamp.
I very much enjoyed the soo yuk at Gom Ba Woo in Annandale. Annandale is the center here for Korean restaurants. At least twenty places, I think, some with no signage in English.
Han Sung Oak is very good and always consistent. I worked within walking distance for 2 months near there and tried to eat there when I could.