Psst... We're working on the next generation of Chowhound! View >
HOME > Chowhound > Washington DC & Baltimore >
Jul 12, 2001 03:45 PM

best steak in D.C. area

  • j

I have but one question, where is the best place to eat steak in D.C.? I do not care about the best place to be seen, but I want the best steak (porterhouse) and the best service money can buy. Price isn't an issue, quality and service are. Thanks inadvance for help on this one!

  1. Click to Upload a photo (10 MB limit)
  1. Bobby Vans has great steak as does Sam and Harry's. My husband would say that Les Halles is the best steak place hands down with fantastic service.

    3 Replies
    1. re: Winnie

      to go to Peter Luger's in Brooklyn. Frankly neither the Capitol Grille nor Morton's, especially not Sam and Harry's or Smith and Wollensky's even come close. Having said this the best Porterhouse in the world is in Florence at DiVinius where the three inch cut is dry aged, then grilled after being coated with first pressing olive oil. It's finished with more olive oil, sliced twice down the middle to the bone and seerved on top of arugula on a wooden platter. The flavor of this Tuscan beef is the most incredible of any I have ever had. The amount of olive oil that goes on this steak is incredible!

      1. re: Joe

        The great Tuscan steak is dead (for the moment) courtesy of Mad Cow Disease in Italy. They actually had a funeral for the last legal chianinna(sp) steer of appropriate age...and then ate it.
        The correct beef for this phenominal steak must be of the proper breed and of that certain age that produces just the right amount of meat, and marbling.
        If you can get high quality prime beef and have great olive oil, sea salt, a blow drier and charcoal (not gas) grill, see Steve Raichlins "Barbecue Bible for a wonderful essay on Florentine Beefsteak.

        1. re: Phil

          A good friend of mine ate at the same restaurant in Firenze that my wife and I did three weeks ago. It is called Di Vinus. Last December we had the best steak that we have ever had there. My friend said that he was served a porterhouse, on the bone, about three inches thick on top of arugula on a wooden platter. Probably a third of a cup or more of olive oil had been brushed on the beef. I assumed that this was the same Tuscan beef that we had.
          I've read the book you mentioned. In it he talks about a steak he had in Tuscany that was the best of all of his travels. Over the years I've had five or six there in different restaurants including Taverna del Bronzino and Sabatino's both of which contend for the title of best. Di Vinus was better.
          We go back in three months although I may be there sooner on business. If it is the same as last year it will be better than anything available here.
          You can buy aged prime beef at the Gourmet Giant in McLean. A three pound porterhouse, three inches thick is about $52. to $54.00. I've cooked it on a basic Weber grill after marinating it for five hours in Coltibuono olive oil (a lot) and Montreal steak seasoning. After five minutes each side I finished it in an oven. Then I poured probably a third of a cup of the same olive oil all over the steak. I sliced it twice to the bone and, like Di Vinus, set it on top of arugula on a wooden platter.
          90% as good. The other 10% is the beef you get there. At Di Vinus it is cooked first on a very hot grill not on charcoal.

    2. MORTON'S Conn. Ave & L streets

      1. I hate to admit it, but the frenchies know what they're doing at Les Halles. I really don't detect a difference between the DC place and Bourdain's NY version. The hanger cut is the most flavorful I've had there -- although it's hard to make comparisons because diffferent cultures slice up the beast in different ways. Go to one of the Brazilian rodi├žios, e.g., the one on Rockville Pike, and some of the cuts will be inspiring (esp. the garlic-crusted whatever). But the problem is that there is no American equivalent to that cut.