Recommendations needed for North of the City
- Juniper Jul 30, 2004 10:22 AM
So, a business associate is in town from San Francisco, and my partner and I would like to take her out to a nice dinner tonight. I normally would have places in mind for occasions such as this, however, I must work within certain parameters (i.e., not downtown), and thus am at a loss. I would appreciate any help you can provide!!
- Must be in and around the Hwy 7 & Hwy 400 area, and easily accessible by major roads (this associate has no sense of direction, so the easier it is for her to get to from her hotel at Hwy 7 & 400, the better).
- She says she is not picky, but cannot handle spicy foods.
- Average price of mains below $25.
- Ambience would ideally be cozy and lively... nothing cavernous or cold.
- Not interested in chain restaurants, as I'm sure they have plenty of access to those in the US!
Thanks in advance for your help!!
I grew up in the area and would highly recommend Tutto Bene on Yonge Street (just south of Hwy 7). I've always had great meals there. The outside is deceiving - doesn't look like anything special, but inside is quite nice and cozy, with an open kitchen. I recommend the veal shank.
Tutto Bene Osteria, 8133 Yonge St., Thornhill 905-740-0199
Most of the restaurants closer to 400 are franchised.
If you like Japanese, you could try A Taste of Japan, which is on Hwy 7, west of Hwy 400.
4411 Hwy 7
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
I was actually thinking Italian, since I am vaguely aware of the large Italian population in the Hwy 7 & 400 area, and Italian food is unintrusive so even the pickiest eater will find something on the menu to their liking. Thus, I will run the idea of Tutto Bene by everyone...
I did a bit of research and came up with Le Navi and Babbo. Can anyone provide feedback on those two restos?
Have not been to either of the two you mentioned but being Italian and Woodbridge is my second home I would recommend two places
(1) Maestro Roberto: on Weston Rd just north of Hwy 7, on the east side
(2) Ice Cream Place: it's very casual (think plastic table covers) but very popular with the locales. Food is excellent and very inexpensive. Located on Rowntree Dairy Rd (South of Hwy 7 off Weston Rd)--down the same street as Demetre's
there is fire and ice... not spicy... in fact you go around and pick your own veg/sauce/rice/noodles and they cook it for you.
hwy 7 and east of woodbine.
not expesive and 'recommended' by the 'body break couple' if you want something alittle differnet